Who Knew?

Fuzzy Doyle/Cordy. How could I possibly resist that, huh? The song is "She's So High" by Tal Bachman.

Who Knew?

~She's blood, flesh and bone,
No tucks or silicone.
She's touch, smell, sight, taste and sound,
But somehow I can't believe
That anything should happen.
I know where I belong,
And nothing's gonna happen
'Cause she's so high
High above me, she's so lovely.
She's so high, like Cleopatra, Joan of Arc or Aphrodite.
She's so high, high above me.~

I think one of the most beautiful things about Cordelia is the fact that she has yet to realize that she's beautiful. I mean, she knows she has a figure that won't quit, perfect hair and fashion sense like a designer, but she hasn't the faintest clue that even in sweats with her head shaved, she'd be ravishing. It's true, though. Everything about her is perfect. She can be the sweetest person ever to walk the face of the earth or hell itself, depending on how she feels that day. Either way, I love her.

~First class and fancy free;
She's high society.
She's got the best of everything.
What could a guy like me ever really offer?
She's perfect as she can be, why should I even bother?
'Cause she's so high
High above me, she's so lovely.
She's so high, like Cleopatra, Joan of Arc or Aphrodite.
She's so high, high above me.~

Still, I don't think we'd ever work. She's way out of my league. Even if her family doesn't have the money it used to and she isn't socially where she wants, she's too good for a loser half-demon who's never had more than a few cents at a time at any point in his life. She deserves one of those gorgeous actor types who make a billion dollars a movie and drive fancy foreign cars.

Besides that, now she knows I'm a demon, and most girls don't exactly fall all over themselves trying to get together with somebody who has a tendency to turn green and sprout blue spikes. Cordelia's made it pretty clear in the past that demons aren't her favorite thing in the world. When I told her, she pretended not to care, of course. But I know she does. Part of me wishes I'd kept it to myself, but she deserves to know what I am. Even if we don't have a chance together romantically, she's one of the best friends I've ever had.

~She calls to speak to me;
I freeze immediately
'Cause what she says sounds so unreal.
But somehow I can't believe
That anything should happen.
I know where I belong,
And nothing's gonna happen
'Cause she's so high
High above me, she's so lovely.
She's so high, like Cleopatra, Joan of Arc or Aphrodite.
She's so high, high above me.~

"Hello. Doyle here. Cordelia! Yeah, I guess I am a bit surprised. It's not that I-Yeah. I won't next time. Shopping? Why should I-Seen in public with me? Who's going to care what I look like while I'm hackin' some slimy creature into little bits? I don't really think-Huh? Date? Dinner? You do remember what we talked about yester-No, I don't think you're shallow. No, I didn't think-Yeah. You do? Alright, alright, I'll stop repeating everything you say. Happy? Of course I do! Been gearin' up to ask for-Yeah. Well, you aren't exactly the easiest person to-A suit? Sorry. Won't happen again. Yeah, I've got a suit. Yeah, it's blue . . . Looks like you will have to take me shopping. Don't expect me to get all the colors matchin' on my own, do ya? I'll meet you there, then. Five o'clock. Yeah. And Cordelia? I just . . . Thanks for understanding. Yeah. See you then."

* Back to the Fan Fiction
* Back to the Hellmouth